Ptp Tennis Program Drills and Instructions
- Warm up: start at net (inner boxes) - play a little.
- Ready Position: Weight on your toes, knees bent, lean forward, Racket above waist level.
- Forehand shot: Continental / Semi Western Grip. Stand so that left shoulder towards opponent. Body should face right side. Left foot forward towards ball, right foot back. Swing racket back, low. Swing racket in a circular motion upwards to left shoulder. Body, shoulders should rotate along with swing action. Follow through shot till end by pointing elbow towards opponent, and whole body moving towards ball. DO NOT LIFT RIGHT FOOT - just list the shoe sole portion. Keep toe on ground. Perfect point of contact is at waist level. Use top spin !
- Drill 1: Instructor at net, students in line at base line (mid). Instructor throws a ball. Student hits a forehand. 2 balls per student, move to end of line.
- Drill 2: Instructor at net, students in line at base line (mid). Instructor thows balls - 2 per student - one forehand, one backhand.
- Drill 3: Instructor at net, sutdent at other end at base line left. 3 balls per student - one ball left, one midlle, one right. Student runs thru court and hit all 3 balls.
- Excersice: One end - champions, one end challengers (line formation). Instructors start from net - gives ball to challengers, they continue rally till the point ends. If challengers drop the point, the next challenger team comes up. If champions drop 2 consequitive points, the challenger becomes champions and switch sides.
- When you see the ball coming, stand so that right shoulder towards oppenent, body facing left wards. Swing the racket back low towards the left hip. Right foot forward, step towards the ball. Swing over. Finish to the top, while body moving into the ball. Hit ball at hip level just in front of the body. Use tighs during the shot. Arm should be straight during the shot. NO WRIST MOVEMENT. Smooth easy swing, hold racket lightly. Do not lift back (left) foot.
- Drills: Same as above - use backhand instead of forehand !
- Stand at base line. Left foot forward. Move hands in a curve to make a 'Y' with both hands. Toss the ball up with left hand. at one 'o' clock position. Towards the dominant side, just in front. Take racket all the way back to the back of your body, Swing racket at the ball - hit the ball when it is stable - not going up, not coming down. Hit/Brush the ball at the back end of the ball for a spin. Snap wrist (racket) at the end of the racket movement. While making a 'Y' with hands, bend your knees. While striking the ball, stand on your toes, move forward so that just after you hit the shot, your right foot ends up into the court. Make sure left foot does not lift up. Follow the shot through ! IF THE TOSS IS NOT GOOD, DO NOT SERVE ! Keep hand / body loose.
- Idle toss location: Keep the racket on the baseline, face pointing your opponent, The inner end of the grip on the base line. The toss should be such that the ball falls into the middle of the face of the racket.
- 2nd Serve, light serve: While taking hands up to toss the ball, make sure your right hand (upper part) touches the body. Fist next to the right ear. Racket pointing backwards. Toss the ball and move your racket in a trajectory motion towards the ball, just push the ball towards the opponent ! Foot work, same as the 'Y' serve.
Volley / Overhead
- Ready Position, near the net. Left foot forward, racket at shoulder level. Get in line with the ball, and just push the ball. DO NOT SWING. Move your body (left thigh) towards the net, while feet steady. Similar for the left hand volley.
- Drill: Form line outside court, near service box line. Move into the service box, get in ready position, hit volley. Move to next box, ready position, hit volley.
- Drill: Stand at base line. Hit forehand, hit back hand, move forward hit short ball, move forward, hit right hand volley, hit left hand volley!