Gentoo being very much like LFS
- 12:40pm started install (from stage1)
- 1pm: start migration to stage2
- 1:58pm: stage 2 abort (out of memory - forgot to add swap: swapon)
- 2pm: restart migration to stage2 (after swapon)
- 5:15pm Left from office, migration to stage 2 still in progress !
- 9:25am: reached office, end migration to stage2.
- 9:29am: migration to stage3 start
- 1pm: end migration to stage3: might have finished earlier: I checked at 1pm
- 1:05pm: Kernel build start (Accepted all default kernel settings)
- 1:50pm: Kernel build end
- 3pm: Installation complete
- 4:10pm: Restarted kernel build
- I re-builded custom kernel, primarly to add devfs support. The default config file does not enable devfs by default. And "make menuconfig" does not has any straight forward option to enable devfs. Wasted around 1 hr finding the options. Found from a list: "You have to enable experimental code, then DEV FS will be under filesystems"
- 4:40pm: Kernel build end
- 10:40am: KDE install start
- 4:45pm: Left for home, KDE still in progress
- 9:15am: KDE build failed - source / compiler error.
- 9:15am: KDE "emerge" restart
- 9:50am: KDE build failed - same problem
- 9:53am: Start KDE 2.2 build
- 10:30am: Aborted KDE 2 build, would like to debug and find problem with KDE 3
- 3:35pm: Restart KDE 3 build
- 4:05pm: Failed again
- 5 pm: Left for home
- 9am: Came in to office: Gentoo Freezed
- 11 am: Pressed ^C to end emerges, everthing seems to work fine
- 11:20am: Started emerge Vim
- 12pm: emerge for vim finished
- 12:40pm: un-merge KDE3 restart
- 1pm: un-merge aborted. mcopidl not found
- 1:15pm: emerge KDE3 restart (outputs redirected to file)
- 1:30pm: Unable to get this stuff to work. I deleted some files and think, I am screwed!. Moday I will start re-install of Gentoo. This time, with 1.0a
- 11am Copy kernel, menu.lst, fstab and /etc/profile to floppy (backup) - to restore to new install
- 11:30am Sart Re-Install Gentoo 1.1a with stage 3 image.
- 12:15pm: Start kernel build (menuconfig)! Floppy CRC error :(
- 12:35pm: Kernel build start
- 1pm: Kernel build finished
- 1:25pm: Install Complete First reboot after install :) Time from GRUB to prompt: 26 secs.
- 3:15pm: emerge KDE start
- 11pm: Emerge KDE aborted (KDE compile / build error)
- 10:55am: Restart KDE emerge, with out redirected to a file
- 11:30am: Failed again. Found the problem - KDE build using toooo much memory (64 M RAM + 100 M Swap is less)
- 4:20pm: Giving up on KDE for now, emerging enlightenment
- 4:48pm: Enlightenment emerged :)
- 5:30pm: Configured X11, rebooting to see if it all works... Yes, it works !
- 5:35pm: Mouse problems - movement dows not work as expected
- 6:20pm: Mouse Issue Fixed. Got help from http://www.xfree86.org Protocol "PS/2". Also rewrote XF86Config :)
- 6:22pm: Emerge mozilla start
- 10:25pm: mozilla emerged
- Got Samba (as server) working. You need to start both smbd and nmbd. Thanks to Scott's FAQ at http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/samba.html
- sawfish's emerge is taking an awful lot of time (installed gnome base also) - forgot to record time !
- Emerged a lot of packages today :)
- Tried and failed to configure openssh
- Again failed to run 2 different emerges. I guess we should be able to emerge 2 seprate packages which do not have common dependencies. I will post it as a bug
- Gaim emerge fails, as it need kde-libs, which fails for system resources crunch
- Re-sized my primary ext2 partition - added 300 MB extra to swap space - for kde-lib emerge. Now, I have a total of 64 MB RAM and 461 MB Swap
- 12:20pm: emerge kdelibs started
- 3:05pm: kdelibs emerge successful. I guess, additional swap space did the job :)
- 3:25pm: started emerge of multiple packages - multiple package names on a single command line. This includes KDe so this will take time !
- 4:35 am (!!): Finally...., kde has finished itsbuild. Looks like it took about 12 hours to build itself :)
- change to kdm, and do a restart
- 10am: Finally !!!!! I have a working Gentoo system.
- 12pm: Installed Gkrellm - cool util :)
- 1pm: Did an rsync after a long time (tweked to point to new system)
- 3:30pm: Configured Sound es18xx: Could not get to work, will try later
- 9:50a Updated to 1.2
- 10:10a: Start Sun Java SDK install: Had to download pkg from sun manually / seprately
- 10:22a: Installed Limewire (Java version) to local user (non root)